Green Meadows Farm is a property with a long history as a private estate.
The main house has been dated in its central part to 1786. Successive owners added pieces to it over the years, hence its rambling character! Major and Mrs. George S. Patton Jr. bought the property in 1928. The Pattons lived here only occasionally until World War II, when Beatrice Patton took up residence, expecting to welcome her husband home from the war, to retirement. Unfortunately, an untimely vehicle accident caused General Patton's death in 1945, so he was never here in extended residence. Mrs Patton lived here until her death in the hunting field in 1953.
Upon his retirement after 34 years as a career Army officer, the next George Patton and his family moved here permanently in 1980. Major General Patton was determined to make something more of his property than "leisure land", so with the help of agricultural, environmental, and forestry experts -- and the advice of seasoned farmers -- he initiated Green Meadows Farm, originally as a blueberry operation. Naming his fields for brave soldiers who had lost their lives in service with him in Vietnam (click here to learn more), he and his farm personnel worked hard to maximize the potential of the land.
After the Major General passed away in 2004, his wife, Joanne H. Patton decided to honor her husband and continue the legacy that is now Green Meadows Farm. She, with the help of Farm Managers, continues to oversee it's operation today.